Monday, July 18, 2011

ASRA Day 2- Toilet Paper Time

Today, after having a big group lunch and watching the opening orientation, we went to our module. Since ours was, at least partly, remote, my roommate, Derek, was in my class. Our class was pretty small, with only 6 kids, so I got to know everyone pretty quickly.

After getting some supplies (compass, hand-lens, Rite-in-the-Rain notebooks) from our instructors, Jill and Sarah, we watched a short lecture about the beginning of the earth, etc.

Next we did a experiment to demonstrate the real size of geologic time. We got into groups and each got a roll of toilet paper, with 460 squares each. In our groups, we each rolled out the entire roll, which must have been 200-300 feet. Then assuming each square represented 10 million years, we went and labeled the intervals and time unites used in geology (Eons, Eras, Periods, Epochs). Humans took up less than the last half of the last square.

After this we went and played frisbee, then headed back to the dorms. Unfortunately, since there weren’t very many people in our dorm, there was only one RA in it. He couldn’t spend all of his time just sitting alone there, so we usually had to get a RA to go over with us.

We headed to dinner and I met some new people and talk with old friends. After dinner I went hiking around the campus, then played frisbee, working on my frisbee throwing skills. Since the last time I used a frisbee was a hour ago at ASRA, and then two years before that, I’m not very good at it.

Sorry, no pictures for today. But tomorrow I will be going to the Fort Knox open pit mine, so I should get some good and interesting pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment