Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Back to Haines

I got up at 3:30 and got dropped off at the airport with a few other kids. We were all on the same flight, although most of them got off in Anchorage, while I went to Juneau.The captain of our plane was Captain Kirk, which I thought was funny.

I got some nice views of glaciers on the flight from Anchorage to Juneau. DSC_9174DSC_9157

I also saw some more glaciers and other views on the way to Haines from Juneau.

DSC_9232DSC_9180DSC_9207DSC_9195

Upper right, overlooking Juneau and the Mendenhall glacier. Upper left, overlooking the Valley of the Eagles golf course in Haines.

When I got back, some friends of ours from Bellingham were visiting. That night we went out to Chilkoot River and saw a bunch of bears. On our side of the river was a mother with two cubs, and on the other side of the river was a male bear. The bears were climbing on a fish weir, which is used to count fish coming down the river.

MaleMomCubs

The Southeast Alaska State Fair was in progress when I got back. The day after I got back, I helped operate the dunk tank to raise money for our DDF (Drama, Debate, and Forensics) team.

I had my dad enter a few of my photos in the fair as well, and all but one got first place, the other getting a second place. Since I was in the Junior division, there weren’t a lot of entries, meaning it wasn’t that hard for me to do well. I also submitted my rain video, which won first place, but since it was the only video, it didn’t have much competition.

In case you’re wondering, the below picture, which is also my blog background, is of my cat Cyrus.

KittyDSC_1406DSC_0118

The one below got a second place, because there was a very nice flower photo entered by a friend of mine that won.

DSC_6012

No comments:

Post a Comment